Builder Application: MineManiac300

Minecraft name:
MineManiac300

What do you like the most about redstone?:
I’ve always enjoyed redstone, from back over 10 years ago watching MumboJumbo, 7 years ago buying Minecraft and now with all kinds of cool computational redstone I’ve been practicing over the years, leading me to this server. I am going to study programming and take a lot of interest in languages like Assembly, so my end goal is learning to build a computer that I can code my own small programs in using Minecraft.

What’s a thing you have made which demonstrates redstone knowledge?:
I’m going to give two entries here:
my first real computational build back in 2019, which was a 4-bit multiplier with 7-segment display. (so dec > bin, calculate, bin > dec, display)
My more recent build that caused me to join the server was my 64byte RAM with vertical address decoding, to which I added compact controls and the Vertical Decoder myself.

What does the thing do?:
The 4-bit multiplicator that simply used a button and comparators to choose a decimal signal using signal strength, encode that into binary. Then multiplying those two Nibbles (4-bit Bytes) using a classic multiplication circuit built from 3 4-bit adders (that were very large and inefficient might i add). Decoding back into decimal using a horizontal design and feeding it into a (fairly compact) 7-segment display.

The recent RAM is very much inspired by the YouTuber I mentioned and repeater locking to store 8-bit values using a vertical design. This is done with simple glass towers and some comparator subtraction to invert signals as well. Loading is done by comparator subtraction glass towers as well.

I use AND gates so that only ADDRESS SELECTION + STORE/LOAD gives a STORE/LOAD signal to the RAM, I will skip the address decoder since that is just a very simple vertical binary decoder.

Image(s) and/or video(s) of the device:
4-bit multiplication:
https://i.imgur.com/JeeeH0l.png

64B RAM:

What do you plan on making for your build trial?:
I plan to make a 7-tick synced (8-bit) Cancel Carry Adder ALU, it will have XOR->OR control, A and B inversion, CIN control, Disable Cancel Carry, and inherently Flood Carry by combining CIN and Disable CC. The design is a modified version of the original CCA posted on the MyBB forums in 2014 that adds 2 ticks by using XORs to have inversion control over A and B. This design I recently learned from vieneky who has been wonderful in my steps towards learning efficient binary multiplication, thanks vieneky!

Do you agree with the rules?:
Absolutely, those sound like good rules to have in place!

[Edit: I credited the wrong person for the CCA design oops, Coolcat7023 is also wonderful though]

This application has been accepted! Whenever both you and a staff member are free, feel free to ask them for a trial. You are able to try again after failing and waiting 24 hours. It is always recommended to do a practice trial with another member before starting your real one and to practice the questions found at ORE Binary Quiz to help prepare for some of the trial questions.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.