Byte²

Some of the stuff on the original post is outdated and I’m unable to edit it. So either I’ll post some sort of update or see if I can get the ability to edit it.

pointer load, pointer store, are justifiable to include. ram is sorta pointless otherwise.

I’d need to have a better understanding of situations in which I use pointers, otherwise I wouldn’t really know how to use them anyway

theyre really good for “switch” statements, also really usefull in general

You can’t make a stack, arrays, dynamic allocation, and a whole lot of other stuff without pointers

How should I implement pointers?

a reg before ram adress and you can write to that reg, that reg is the pointer

instead of giving a “immediate” address, you let a register give you the address, this mostly just means using a mux.

1 Like

I guess I could implement pointers, just not sure how much use I’d personally get out of it xp

in the game hangman i create a string in memory and iterate through it for the search. without pointers i cannot use a loop for the iteration, since the address keeps changing. same thing with doing sorting algorithms.

1 Like

most data structures in general don’t work without pointers afaik, and that includes basic arrays

1 Like

Noted

Progress update les? Are you even still working on this or did you give up?