Chickenstrips27's builder application

Minecraft name:
chickenstrips27

What do you like the most about redstone?:
at the moment I’m experimenting with secondary storage. Being able to offload part of main memory to some other slow but high capacity storage (using comparators or composters maybe?? idk but im kinda oldschool redstone so im new to these devices :slight_smile: ).

What’s a thing you have made which demonstrates redstone knowledge?:
Sorry, perhaps underwhelming, but I did sufficiently much, as I saw in other applications that a simple 4-bit ALU with a few functions is sufficient.

What does the thing do?:
addition, substraction, and bit-wise XOR and AND

Image(s) and/or video(s) of the device:

What do you plan on making for your build trial?:
More compact large volume storage. With a controller hopefully, if that doesnt require too much clockwork

Do you agree with the rules?:
Yes.

Can the ALU do bitwise operations beyond simply XOR and AND?

Nop. Would you like a specific one?

Generally, we (or at least I) look for OR, NOR, AND, NAND, XOR, XNOR in ALUs.

I do have invert a and invert b so i guess we could also get NOR that way. And NAND is inverted at the end but i didnt make that. XNOR trivially supported because i can invert a and b. Or would be nice I agree.

Edit: oh also OR can be quickly added by adding an invert at the end right? As we have NOR by inverting a and b and using AND .

Sounds like you’ve figured out how to make it all work, if you could send an image of the new version here (whenever it’s ready) I would appreciate it.

No probs.

Here is the relevant part: the inverter at the end. Now I can make all the operations aforementioned.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

ALU is good. For the actual trial build memory alone wouldn’t be enough. You could just use that same ALU design as the trial build.

So you’re saying a better version of the same ALU would be good for the trial, but memory probably not? Just wondering, not trying to be rude :slight_smile:

Yeah pretty much

Assuming you’re going with that I’ll accept the application. (This is a safe assumption, trust me)
Accepted for trial! Hop on the server at mc.openredstone.org and ask a staff member for assistance.