LKRT's builder application

Hi everyone, here is my builder application. I hope I’ll be able to do my trial on Sunday.

Minecraft name: LKRT

What do you like the most about redstone?: I like to build computational redstone. Although I have never made a full computer, I have made some application-specific memory designs and worked on some ideas for out-of-order core designs.

What’s a thing you have made which demonstrates redstone knowledge?: A 3-wide programmable error-detection stage for a CPU core

What does the thing do?: It takes the output and opcodes from up to 3 ALUs each cycle and looks for matching opcodes in a 16-entry register file. If it finds a matching opcode and certain input patterns, it compares the output to a reference value. If the output doesn’t match the reference value, it activates a flag. The opcodes and reference values can be programmed during runtime, so this enables some acceleration of recurring complex conditionals or error detection. If there is no entry in the register file for a given instruction, its result is fast-tracked to the output. This means that this unit also dynamically reorders instructions coming from the ALUs for maximum throughput.

Image(s) and/or video(s) of the device:

What do you plan on making for your build trial?: I’m planning to make a 4-bit ALU, but it will be my own design. It won’t be the densest or the fastest, but what’s important to me is that the design is my own. I think that is a better way to show that I understand what I’m working on and not just copying someone else’s design without understanding how it works. Outside of that, it’s not terrible, just suboptimal.

Do you agree with the rules?: Yes

This application has been accepted! Whenever both you and a staff member are free, feel free to ask them for a trial. You are able to try again after failing and waiting 24 hours. It is always recommended to do a practice trial with another member before starting your real one.