Shinrod's Builder Application

Minecraft name:

Shinrod

What do you like the most about redstone?:

Be able to build whatever you want

What’s a thing you have made which demonstrates redstone knowledge?:

An hexadecimal adder without binary conversion.

What does the thing do?:

It adds up to 16 signals in hex and outputs two lines X and Y such as SUM(inputs) = 16*X + Y.

For two inputs A and B, it works as follows :

if A + B < 16:
    X = 0
    Y = A + B
    # implemented as Y = 15 - (15 - A - B)
else:
    # A + B > 15
    X = 1
    Y = A + B - 16
    # implemented as Y = B - (15 - A) - 1

Image(s) and/or video(s) of the device:

1 slice of the adder :
The inputs are the barrels with green numbers (the two barrel on the middle left).
The top part (orange) computes Y when A + B < 16.
The bottom part (blue) computes Y when A + B > 15.
The yellow line powers on if A + B > 15. It turns off the Top Y and put X to 1.
The green line inject Y back in the system for the next layers. (I didn’t include the comparator line here for clarity. It is represented by the green glass).

Here, A = 13 and B = 8. 13+8 = 21 = 16*1 + 5. So X = 1 and Y = 5.

1. Here is an example with A = 3 and B = 8 (which gives X = 0 and Y = 11):

1. And here is an edge case with A = 13 and B = 3, so that A+B = 16 (giving X = 1 and Y = 0).

1. And here is the full adder, with slices combined:
    The inputs are the barrels of the middle column.

1. And the results for the sum of the range [1, 15] (sum= 120 = 16*7 + 8, giving X = 7 and Y = 8) :

I reproduced the first slice on my plot, you can visit if you want to see it: /p visit Shinrod

What do you plan on making for your build trial?:

I have heard there is a lot of ALU, so let’s settle for that. I have a design with SUM, AND, OR, XOR, left/right shift and negations of the output (NAND, NOR, NXOR…).

Do you agree with the rules?:

Yes

This application has been accepted! Whenever both you and a staff member are free, feel free to ask them for a trial. You are able to try again after failing and waiting 24 hours. It is always recommended to do a practice trial with another member before starting your real one and to practice the questions found at ORE Binary Quiz to help prepare for some of the trial questions.

1 Like