The Last Poster Wins - Continued

The first thing I remember knowin’

Was a lonesome whistle blowin’

And a young un’s dream of growin’ up to ride

On a freight train leavin’ town

Not knowin’ where I’m bound

And no one could change my mind but Mama tried

One and only rebel child

From a family, meek and mild

My Mama seemed to know what lay in store

Despite all my Sunday learnin’

Towards the bad, I kept on turnin’

'Til Mama couldn’t hold me anymore

And I turned twenty-one in prison doin’ life without parole

No one could steer me right but Mama tried, Mama tried

Mama tried to raise me better, but her pleading, I denied

That leaves only me to blame 'cause Mama tried

Dear old Daddy, rest his soul

Left my Mom a heavy load

She tried so very hard to fill his shoes

Workin’ hours without rest

Wanted me to have the best

She tried to raise me right but I refused

And I turned twenty-one in prison doin’ life without parole

No one could steer me right but Mama tried, Mama tried

Mama tried to raise me better, but her pleading, I denied

That leaves only me to blame 'cause Mama tried